Keywords: Jetpack, Innovation, Obsession, Risk, Progress, Technology, Personal Narrative.
"Own The Sky" is a gripping documentary directed by Gregory Read and released in 2018. It explores the relentless pursuit of jetpack technology, a tantalising obsession that has intrigued innovators for decades. In today's technologically advanced age, the film's topic is more relevant than ever, examining human ambition, innovation, and the risks we're willing to take for progress.
The documentary follows the decade-long journey of David Mayman, a man consumed by his childhood dream of creating a functional jetpack. The film unfolds as Mayman's passion spirals into an addiction, threatening his life and family. The climax of the documentary is Mayman's daring attempt to fly his jetpack around the Statue of Liberty.
More Film Analysis
The film adopts an observational approach, closely documenting Mayman's progress over ten years. The depth of research and subject exploration is commendable, and the presentation style effectively captures the increasing tension and stakes involved in Mayman's quest.
Historical and Factual Context
Jetpack technology has long been a dream of the future, with roots in science fiction and early space exploration attempts. The documentary offers a unique window into the modern pursuit of this once fantastical technology.
Key themes in the film
- The pursuit of innovation and technology
- The human cost of obsession
- Risk-taking for progress
Unlike other films on iWonder that explore technological advances, "Own The Sky" stands out for its personal focus on one man's relentless pursuit and the impact it has on his life.
Mayman's attempted flight around the Statue of Liberty is a highlight of the film, a high-stakes moment that encapsulates his decade-long obsession.
With an IMDB score of 7.2, "Own The Sky" resonated with audiences for its intimate portrayal of obsession and innovation.
"Own The Sky" is an important exploration of how far humans will go in the pursuit of progress. Those interested in technology, innovation, and personal narratives of obsession will find the documentary particularly compelling.
More film information:
- IMDB score: 7.2
- Awards: 1 win
- David Mayman: The subject of the film, his relentless pursuit of jetpack technology forms the crux of the documentary.
- Statue of Liberty: The site of Mayman's climactic jetpack flight.
Key Questions Raised by the Film
- How far should we go in the pursuit of innovation?
- What are the personal costs of obsession?
Links for Further Exploration
- Jetpack history: [Link to reputable source]
- Modern attempts at jetpack technology: [Link to reputable source]
I wonder what the film would be in another art form
- A famous book: "Moby Dick" - both explore obsession and its destructive potential.
- A famous song: "I Believe I Can Fly" - encapsulates the main character's dream and relentless pursuit.
- A famous piece of art: "Icarus" - both depict the perilous pursuit of flight.
- A famous celebrity: Elon Musk - both share an obsession with pushing technological boundaries.
- A colour: Sky blue - representing the limitless sky, the object of Mayman's obsession.
- A music style: Rock - embodying the film's high-energy and risk-taking spirit.